I n d e p e n d e n t E s t a t e A g e n t s



. . . Listed Buildings In England Continued

All properties considered for listing are judged according to a set of standards and graded to reflect their relative architectural and historic interest.

Grade I - buildings of exceptional interest

Grade II* - particularly important buildings of more than special interest

Grade II - of special interest, warranting every effort to preserve them.

Buildings built before 1700 which survive in anything like their original condition are listed, as are most of those built between 1700 and 1840. Post-1945 buildings have to be exceptionally important to be listed. Normally a building has to be over 30 years old to be eligible for listing. Buildings less than 30 years old would normally only be listed if they were of outstanding quality and under threat. Buildings less than 10 years old are not listed.

If you wish to demolish a listed building or to alter or extend it in a way that affects its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest, you must apply for listed building consent from your local planning authority. Once added to the list a building is protected by law. It is an offence to demolish, alter or extend a listed building without listed planning consent.

Consent is also necessary for alterations or extensions to any object or structure within the grounds of a listed building, such as gates or garden walls as well as buildings ancillary to the principal building.

Before starting any work - even painting - you should consult your local planning authority. Listed building consent is in addition to any planning permission needed. For most owners, however, applications for both can be considered. Listed buildings consent applications are free.

Planning permission alone is not sufficient to authorise demolition.

Certain of the developments relating to dwelling houses permitted by the Town and Country Planning General Development Order do not apply to listed buildings. Advice on such matters can be obtained from your local planning authority.

If you are granted listed building consent to demolish a building, either in part or wholly, the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments must be informed to make a record of it.






Copyright © -2003 Oldroyd Publishing Group. All rights reserved.

For Career Opportunities with Oldroyd Publishing Group Ltd, Click Here